Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Pull of the Trail

Some days the pull from the Trail - any ole' Trail - is tremendous. Almost irresistible. Yesterday was one such day for me. I haven't been out on a long-distance hike since my trek of the Pacific Crest Trail in 2005. Two years ago yesterday I hiked out of the town of Bishop with Badmoon, Phantom, Whoop and Chowda...well actually we first had to hitch to Independence, a mere 42 miles away (That's a pic of Badmoon, me and Whoop working on getting a ride.) Then we had to get another ride 15 miles up into the Sierras. Then we walked another few miles on the Kearsarge Trail before we stopped for the night. The next day we continued on thru Kearsarge Pass, hiking another 6 miles to finally make it back to the PCT on July 4th.


If you are like the majority of people, you are probably wondering WHY. How could walking with a loaded backpack mile after mile, day after day, month after month be fun? How could sleeping on the ground for 6 months be good for your body? How could being ravenously hungry all the time feel good? Why would anyone subject themselves to being so cold and wet that your fingers won't even work well enough to unzip you rain jacket when you finally do get to town? And imagine opting to go to the restaurant cold, wet and smelly BEFORE taking a hot shower and putting on dry clothes. OK, so that wasn't one of my brightest moves. But I had been so cold and wet for so long that I hadn't really eaten much in 24 hours AND I had walked about 25 miles.

I'm not crazy. I have a great life off Trail. But if I could be doing anything at all right this moment, I would be hiking. I would have everything I could possibly need on my back and Badmoon would be right there with me. It's not just about playing every day, or feeling like we are are vacation everyday. It's not just about accomplishing something so rewarding. It's not just about feeling amazingly healthy, strong and fit. For me the pull is in the expansion of my world; the expansion of my spirit. Long-distance hiking is about a deeper kind of freedom and connection...a deeper connection to self, to other people, to the earth, to the Universe. A freedom from my inner voice talking about all the "shoulds" in life. Long-distance hiking shifts my perspective and fills me completely full of love and peace. I am happiest when I am hiking.

I know there is more to life than hiking, but some days it takes a lot of will and common sense to really believe.

Want to experience the connection and freedom found on a long-distance hike?

Join Hikeu Adventure Guides as we end-to-end the Long Trail in Vermont this September. I challenge you to come away from that experience feeling like the same person that left.

Beware...long-distance hiking will shift your perspective and rock your world!

No comments: